Friday, November 17, 2017

Universal background checks for firearm transfers


Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) wants to criminalize every firearm transfer that isn't conducted in association with a federally-licensed gun dealer? That means:

1 - I can't gift a firearm to any of my relatives, whose background I already know, unless I pay a dealer to do the transfer.

2 - As a firearm instructor, I can't loan a firearm to a student for his/her training unless I pay a dealer to do the transfer.

3 - As a firearm instructor, I can't take possession of a student's firearm to help him/her clear a malfunction unless I pay a dealer to do the transfer.

4 - As a hunter, I can't pass my firearm to a fellow hunter while I cross a fence or other obstacle and he/she can't pass it back unless I pay a dealer to do the transfer.

According to the Supreme Court (Haynes v. United States), prohibited persons need not comply with laws that force them to violate their Fifth Amendment right to not testify against themselves (which is what the transfer document would do). Therefore, prohibited persons are exempt from Murphy's legislation.

As usual, advocates for "reasonable" gun control show that they have no capacity to reason.







No comments:

Post a Comment