Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Food stamps aren't' enough to live on


In the news lately are stories about a rapidly-rising portion of the US population that is dependent on "Food Stamps." Part of the story is how small the amount per person per meal is -- allegedly around $1.47 per meal. I agree, that's not much, considering what the Federal Reserve and American politicians have done to the value of the US dollar.

Nevertheless, I've known families whose "food stamp" allotment gave them much more food than they could possibly eat. Somebody isn't telling the truth.

Nevertheless, I have a couple of observations:
1 - Do "food stamp" recipients really believe that, as a hard-working taxpayer, I am supposed to pay their entire food bill? Why can't they be expected to pay at least some portion of their own food bill?
2 - Do "food stamp" recipients really believe that, as a hard-working taxpayer, I am supposed to ensure they are comfortable in their dependency?

Lest any reader think I am cold and uncaring, I hereby disclose that,
1 - I give far more than the national average to charity -- both money and time. Contrary to what Liberals who want to tax me more heavily think, I already am giving my fair share -- far more than they are! Don't you dare say I'm not doing my share unless you give more than me!
2 - I've been broke, too. While trying to provide for a family of 6 children, I've had a couple of long stints in the unemployment line. I know what it's like to go from a fairly comfortable living to no job to a new job at the bottom of the seniority list and pay scale and work my way back up -- multiple times. I know what it's like to not have even a penny to brighten Christmas for my children. I know what it's like to not have health insurance when a child needed an emergency appendectomy. I know what it's like to see my children wear worn out and too-small clothing. I know what it's like to not even have bus fare to get home from work, having to walk several miles home in Alaska's winter. I know what it's like to hide my car because I feared it would be repossessed. All these, I have experienced in the supposedly lucrative career of an airline pilot (where I've been paid as little as $835 per month)!

I got through all those trials by living off savings and some stored food as long as they lasted. I got through it by liquidating my 401k and IRA retirement accounts -- twice. I got through by having the resilience of a decent education (although I've been rejected for jobs that were "beneath me" because the employer didn't want to hire someone who was over-educated). Yes, I got through it by working jobs that were "beneath me." I got through by working a second job. I got through it by not having expensive habits such as alcohol, tobacco, gambling, and expensive cars.

I never expected the taxpayer to give me "food stamps" or pay my utility bills or pay my mortgage or rent or any of the other "entitlements" politicians give freely to buy the votes of the moocher class.

By my own experiences, I know that responsible adults can get though financial struggles. I know they can maintain some dignity and self-respect by being self-reliant. The problem I see is that we have awfully few really responsible, independent adults these days.

I acknowledge that sometimes people need a hand. That's one reason why I give to charity. I also am convinced that charity does a far better job of helping people than does government. But if any person who is not severely disabled relies on or accepts any form public assistance or charity for more than a several weeks, there's something morally wrong with that person. He or she needs to repent and/or grow up! Being His sons and daughters, we are created in the image of God. Being a slave to dependency on government or charity brings disgrace on ourselves and on God. Get some dignity!

Too few people really care about retaining some true dignity. Too many think that dignity means having a large-screen TV, cable, and an ObamaPhone, and lots of "food stamps." Too many think that society "owes them." We have bought into the delusion that we are "entitled" to the fruits of the labors of other people. We demand our politicians buy our votes with money extracted from our neighbors. In fact, we even think that our neighbors should pay our entire food bill -- not a mere $1.47 per meal!

We don't have a safety net for those who need help. We give them a hammock.

We need smarter voters.









No comments:

Post a Comment